5/15/2020: Structure Fire – Lazzelle Union Road

Today at 1151hrs Star City Fire was alerted for a mutual aid structure fire in the 2100 block of Lazzelle Union Road. Engines 201 and 209 staffed with volunteers responded within 2 minutes of the dispatch. Engine 173 arrived on scene with a working trailer fire asking for E-201 to access a nearby hydrant and obtain water supply for E-173. E-201 arrived on scene and performed its assigned duty laying 500 feet of supply into the scene. SCVFD crews assisted with knockdown and overhaul of the residence. Star City had a total of 10 members operating on the scene for just over 2 hours.

5/13/2020: WVU Medicine Park & Pray

This evening Star City Fire and EMS participated in a Park and Pray event at J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital hosted by WVU Medicine. Star City along with the City of Morgantown Fire Department, Granville Volunteer Fire Department, Westover Volunteer Fire Department, Marion County Rescue Squad, City of Salem Fire and EMS Department, Monongalia EMS, WVU Police Department, Morgantown Police Department, Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office, and West Virginia State Police were among some of the departments in attendance.

4/29/2020: Structure Fire – Chateau Royale Apartments

4/29/2020: Companies 20, 17, 23, and 13 were alerted for a structure fire at Chateau Royale Apartments. Units responded and upon arriving on scene found an unattended grill on the porch/balcony of an apartment which had begin to ignite the surrounding structure. Forcible entry was made into the source apartment due to no residents on scene and crews began fire attack and investigation for extension. Thankfully, due to observant neighboring residents emergency crews were called quickly and crews were able to achieve fire suppression with (2) 2 1/2 gallon water extinguishers. Mutual aid units were cleared from scene while Company 20 units ensured no further extension existed in source or surrounding apartments. After performing investigation and mild overhaul Company 20 units turned the scene over to the residents of the apartment and building management and returned to service.

A friendly reminder to never leave any fire or cooking appliance unattended. Kitchen, grill and other cooking fires are a leading cause of fire especially during Spring and Summer seasons. It is highly suggested that grilling not be done on porches or balconies especially those that are enclosed by a roof or other balcony. Many rental apartments, houses and townhouses specifically prohibit the practice due to the high incidence of accidental fire that exists.

01/07/2020: Multi-Vehicle MVC @ Chaplin Road

On 01/07/2020 at 11:58hrs the Star City VFD along with Monongalia EMS was dispatched for a vehicle accident on Chaplin Rd between Solomon Rd and Mylan Park lane. At 11:59hrs Engine 209 and Utility 202 responded. Upon arrival, EMS arrived on the scene with a multiple vehicle accident. E-209 and U-202 arrived on the scene and shut the roadway down. Upon further investigation, it was found to be 18 vehicles involved with 14 of them with significant damage. Granville VFD was dispatched to assist with road closure due to the severity of the incident. Mon EMS along with Star City EMS transported all patients to local hospitals with non-life threatening injuries. Crews remained on the scene to assist with traffic control. Multiple tow agencies responded to the scene. The Monongalia County Sheriff’s Office is handling the investigation at this time.