11 Ways to Sleep Safe
Most residential fires occur at night while people are sleeping. Here are some bedroom safety tips:
- Never smoke in bed. The risk of falling asleep while smoking is too great.
- Do not leave children unsupervised. Store matches and lighters out of children’s reach in a locked cabinet.
- Do not place portable heaters within three feet of the bed or other flammable materials, or use them to dry clothes.
- Do not leave heaters unattended or go to sleep while they are on. Don’t use extension cords with them and unplug them after you turn them off.
- Do not run electrical cords over or under the bed, or trap them between the bed and the wall where heat could build up.
- Never place heat-producing appliances (such as electric curlers) on a bed.
- Use only electric blankets listed by a testing laboratory.
- Install and maintain smoke detectors on every floor of your house – including outside bedrooms.
- Sleep with your bedroom door closed. FUN SONG FROM U.L. HERE!!
- Plan and practice your fire escape plan. USE THIS GRID TO MAKE A FIRE ESCAPE PLAN. Once you are safely out of the house STAY OUT.