Today is the beginning of Fire Prevention Week for 2017. The year’s theme is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out”. If you would like to visit our station during this important week in fire safety or at any time during the year feel free to contact the station at (304) 599-1539 9am-6pm or stop by any night between 6pm-10pm when we conduct our ‘duty crew’ activities. In the meantime there are steps YOU CAN TAKE TODAY to help protect yourself, your family and neighbors in the event of a fire.
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between escaping safely from a fire or having tragedy strike.
- Draw a map of your home by USING THIS GRID with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill AT LEAST twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day and practice using all the different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- “Stay low and go”, but close doors behind you as you leave if able to do so – this will slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you GET OUTSIDE STAY OUTSIDE. Never go back inside a burning building.