Monongalia County residents vote “YES” for fire protection


5/10/16 – Monongalia County residents turned out during election day to support the county fire levy by a resounding 18,025 to 6,015 vote. As fellow citizens within the community we recognize that each dollar spent must be carefully examined during these difficult economic times. Thankfully the citizens of Monongalia County recognize the need and value of each volunteer fire department as we strive to serve and protect the citizens and visitors of Monongalia County. The funds apportioned to each department will be used judiciously to help comply with NFPA guidelines, to repair/replace aging apparatus, purchase new life saving equipment, replace worn and/or aging personal protective equipment and to maintain the facilities of our departments. On behalf of the Star City Volunteer Fire Department and all the departments of Monongalia County, we, your citizen volunteers, appreciate your continued support as we stand ready to serve those in need.

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK

Car fire prevention/safety


Cars can catch fire for many reasons. While mechanical or electrical issues are the most common cause cars can also catch fire as the result of a bad crash. If you see smoke or flames or smell burning rubber or plastic, you must respond IMMEDIATELY. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so below are things you can do to help prevent fires from occurring in your car.

  1. Have your car serviced regularly by a professionally trained mechanic. If you spot leaks or your car is not running properly, get it checked immediately. A well-maintained car is less likely to have a fire.
  2. If you must transport gasoline in cans, transport only a small amount in a certified gas can that is sealed. Keep a window open for ventilation.
  3.  Gas cans and propane cylinders should never be transported in the passenger compartment. Secure these containers in the trunk or bed of the vehicle and transport them for the least time and distance required.
  4. Never park a car where flammables materials can come into contact with hot car components (such as the exhaust system).
  5. Be able to recognize ‘red flags’ that can contribute to car fires such as cracked/loose wiring, fuses that blow despite replacement, loose/leaking hoses, and rapid changes in fluid/engine temperature and pressures.
  6. Always drive safely to help avoid accidents.

If you suspect that your car is catching fire:

  1. IMMEDIATELY pull over when safe to do so.
  2. Once the car is stopped: place the car in park, set the emergency brake and turn off the engine.
  3. Evacuate yourself and everyone in the car as quickly and safely as possible. Move away from the car and the road.
  4. Once outside and away from the car: GET OUT AND STAY OUT. Do not return to the car FOR ANY REASON.
  5. Call 9-1-1 and await emergency assistance.

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK


Structure Fire – Colasante’s Restaurant

10395832_G4/23/16: At approximately 0330 Company 20 was alerted 3rd due to respond with Companies 23, 17, and 19 for a commercial/restaurant fire at Colasante’s Restaurant. This was the second working structure fire for the members of Company 20 within the past 24 hours. All companies on scene worked diligently to contain and extinguish the fire which resulted in minimal fire and smoke damage to the restaurant and bar portion of the structure. However, crews on scene also had to work to extinguish fire in an apartment and small office that was attached to the restaurant which was heavily damaged during the incident. Colasante’s restaurant is family owned and has been a mainstay of the greater Morgantown community for over 40 years. During interviews with local news crews after the incident the Colasante family have made intentions to rebuild and reopen the restaurant as soon as they can. Units remained on scene until the early morning hours to complete extinguishment of primary fire and hot spots, salvage and overhaul before returning to service.

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK

Structure Fire – Brookhaven Road

20160422_1140414/22/16: Company 20 was alerted to assist Company 12 with a structure fire off of Brookhaven Road. Engine 201 and Unit 202 responded to the incident and was tasked by Command 12 with ventilation, pulling ceiling to check for hot spots/extension, and replacement hoseline operations for first arriving units on scene. Due to the quick and efficient work of all units on scene the fire was able to be contained quickly and much of the homeowner’s possessions were able to be salvaged after the fire was extinguished. Company 20 units spent approximately three hours on scene and then were returned to service by Command 12. A special thanks to Mon EMS for responding to scene with their newly acquired rehabilitation trailer to assist fire personnel on scene.

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK

Vote ‘YES’ on the Monongalia Co. Fire Levy

May 10th is fast approaching! Be sure to tell everyone you know and also turn out to vote ‘YES’ for the Monongalia County Volunteer Fire Levy. With only 1 full and 1 partial paid fire department in the county the vast majority of citizens in Monongalia County are covered by your friends and neighbors, citizen volunteers, to protect your life and property.  Without the funding associated with the levy our departments will not be able to replace and/or repair our aging equipment and in the most dire of circumstances will have to reduce services or dissolve the department entirely. In the case of your local department closing your home insurance coverage is in jeopardy of being dropped or significantly increased due to being seen as an ‘unprotected’ structure. HELP US, HELP YOU on May 10th and vote ‘YES’.fl

4/13/16: Structure fire – River Road


4/13/16: In the early hours of 4/13/16 Company 20 units were alerted 4th due to a confirmed structure fire with possible entrapment on Tram Street off of River Road. Engine 201 responded with six and Unit 202 responded with two for a manpower and water supply assignment. While en route to the incident, tanker shuttle operations were established on scene and Company 20’s assignment was updated to a manpower to scene with Engine on standby at the hydrant assignment. Upon arrival, Engine 201 and DPO stood by at the water source while 201 and 202’s personnel reported to Command 19’s position for individual assignment. Company 20 personnel performed various fireground duties as assigned and then were returned to service by Command 19 after approximately four hours on scene.

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK

4/12/16: Structure fire – Broadway Avenue


4/12/16: Company 20 was alerted for a structure fire on Broadway Avenue in Star City. Initial reports from callers indicated a small fire outside the structure started by brush and a cigarette. Star City PD units, who were immediately in the area, updated MECCA that the fire had been extinguished by the homeowner utilizing a garden hose and did not appear to have extended into the structure. As a result, Company 20 command returned Companies 17 and 23 who were responding to normal service. Command 206 and Engine 201 arrived on scene to investigate and found the structure as reported by Star City PD units. Company 20 personnel assured that there had not been further extension into the structure, assisted the homeowner with light overhaul and then returned to service.

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK

Community smoke detector outreach


Smoke detectors save lives. A September 2015 report released by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) discovered that from 2009-2013, 38% of fire-related deaths were attributed to the lack of smoke detectors in the home. Additionally, the study also indicated that an additional 21% of fire-related deaths occurred because smoke detectors were present in the home, but were not operating correctly.

On April 23rd, the Star City Volunteer Fire Department, in partnership with the American Red Cross, will be providing free smoke detectors and installation to any residence within our response area.

If you are interested, or have any questions, please contact the station at 304-599-1539.…/fire-sa…/smoke-alarms-in-us-home-fires

And as always, “LIKE” us on FACEBOOK