Each season presents its own unique home fire safety concerns. In winter, you depend heavily on your heating appliances. Remember:
- Keep your furnace clean and check that the pilot light is working properly if the furnace utilizes natural gas.
- If you use a space heater, keep it away from combustible materials.
- Have all alternative heating sources such as a wood stove examined by an expert to make sure they are functioning properly.
- NEVER use the oven for heating.
- Clean and check fireplaces and chimneys regularly.
- Install and test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.